If you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for ways to make life easier – and to eat healthier at the same time. Life gets busy, and we often find ourselves eating out (and eating the wrong foods) when we’re overwhelmed. My family has a bad pizza and chinese food habit – it’s easy and it’s delivered to our door.
But recently, a better option occurred to us: we decided to try using crockpots to make our dinners ahead of time – and boy is this an excellent idea. But some crockpots are better than others – so here, we’re offering our review of our favorites.
Healthy eating means you need to prepare meals that are good for you. But that’s hard to do unless you have the right kitchen appliances to help you prepare your food.
Crockpot cooking is one tool that you can use to make sure the meals you get are healthy. These appliances can keep nutrients in the foods that they cook that would normally be destroyed by other cooking methods.
Though there are numerous crockpots available, you’ll want to choose one based on size, convenience and safety.
The Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S 6-Quart Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker is one that meets all of the criteria.
This one’s my favorite for a big stew or a good roast – plus, it’s great for taking with you to pot luck dinners and family get-togethers.
- It’s roomy, thanks to the 6 quart capacity, which allows it to cook a large roast big enough for either an extended family or for meals that give you so much food that you have healthy leftovers.
- This crockpot comes with the locking lid, which is an important safety feature. If the pot is somehow tipped, the food won’t spill over. Plus, it has a seal on the lid so that if you take the crockpot with you, it keeps the food within the pot.
- For convenience, you can program the crockpot to count down the time the meal should cook. This is a feature that prevents the food from overcooking because once the food is done, the crockpot will change the setting to warm.
- It’s easy to clean up since the stoneware can be separated from the electrical components for easy washing as well as serving.
Big family? You might want an even bigger crock pot. So, if you’re looking for a crockpot that’s slightly larger than the 6 quart, then you can get the Hamilton Beach 33182A Slow Cooker.
Pros & Cons:
- You can cook a roast or a chicken or any dish to feed a large group of people with this size. The crockpot can be set to cook on low, high or warm. The warm feature is used to prevent overcooking but keeps the food hot enough to be served.
- Using a crockpot for your meals and having the food ready when you want it is a great way to cut down on grabbing unhealthy foods when you’re hungry. Most people tend to overeat or eat junk food when they need food fast, and it’s not available.
- The lid has a secure lid latch, which not only keeps the food from spilling out while it’s cooking, it also keeps the food from spilling out when you take the crockpot in your vehicle to another location.
- The handles are wide and easy to grip. You can remove the stoneware to wash it or to use it take the food straight from the crockpot to the table. This model also has a cord wrap, which keeps the cord out of you way when you store the crockpot.
But what if you’re a single person or you just have a small family? Yeah, we gotcha! Fact is that sometimes, less is more and you don’t need a larger crockpot to eat healthy meals.
You can get the Proctor-Silex 33043 4-Quart Slow Cooker to prepare some of the same dishes you could get with a larger model.
- This one also has the low, high and warm setting for cooking and keeping food ready to eat. The stoneware is removable and can be washed in the dishwasher as well as the lid.
- This model doesn’t come with the rubber seal around the lid or the top of the pot. So it does let air escape as the food cooks. However, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing because it does not affect the taste or cooking of the food. You can still make healthy meals.
- What it does affect is your ability to be able to take the crockpot in your vehicle. You can, but the odds of having a spill are higher with this one than with other models.
What’s your favorite crockpot for healthy eating? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments.